Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Kate Blackwell

Kate Blackwell talked to Powells.com Ink Q & A about her new story collection, You Won't Remember This.

One exchange from the interview:

What fictional character would you like to date, and why?

My mother, who was not a whimsical woman, used to say she wished she had a son so that she could name him Sydney Carton. I was impressed. When I was a teenager and read A Tale of Two Cities, I, too, developed a crush on Sydney. I sometimes imagined him, lean and passionate, in place of the boy whose arms were around me in a smelly car. But I was no Lucie and could not envision anyone transforming his character through love for me (I'm sure my mother could), so I gave him up. Still, if Sydney came along today, I wouldn't mind strolling with him along the Seine, arm in arm, talking in low voices of the film we just saw or the state of the world or the weather.
Blackwell was also invited to "[r]ecommend five or more books on a single subject of personal interest or expertise." Read about her response.

Read the entire interview.

--Marshal Zeringue