Thursday, January 17, 2008

James Collins

From Literature Chick, part of an interview with James Collins, author of Beginner's Greek:

Your book is a wonderful exploration of a young man's unrequited love. Would you consider the book a member of the new genre, male lit?

It’s funny, a couple of people have mentioned that they were struck by the fact that protagonist of a book like this was a man. It never occurred to me to think of that as being unusual, since it seemed to me that male heroes of love stories have always been very common. “Boy meets girl…boy loses girl…boy gets girl back” is the classic formula. So, no, I don't think of it as being part of a new genre, and, while I really like Nick Hornby, whose success started the "lad lit" trend, I actually hope my book has a bit more "lit" and a lot less "lad" than the typical one in that category.
Read the full Q & A.

The Page 69 Test: Beginner's Greek.

--Marshal Zeringue