Friday, June 6, 2008

Duane Swierczynski

In the introduction to his interview with Duane Swierczynski, Mike Collins at Rescued by Nerds writes: "Take Battle Royal cross it with Office Space and add in a little Die Hard with splash of Alias and you've got some idea what to expect in Duane Swierczynski's Severance Package."

One exchange from the interview:

MC: The plot of the book is like a nesting doll. First we get the boss who may or may not be a little nuts telling his staff that they are all secretly working for an intelligence agency and that they are all about to die. Then little by little you reveal just how deep all the connections are. How much fun was the plot for this one to figure out?

DS: I honestly figured it out as I was writing it. I had the basic set-up in my head, and a hazy idea of what might happen at the end (though that changed); the rest was kind of me winging it. Same thing happened with The Wheelman. The only book I’ve only kinda sorta plotted was The Blonde, and that was because I was afraid I’d screw it up.
Read the entire Q & A.

Visit Duane Swierczynski's website.

--Marshal Zeringue