Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Laura Benedict

Laura Benedict’s new novel is Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts.

Alexandra Sokoloff, author of The Harrowing and The Price, on Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts: “Deliciously malevolent–Benedict’s writing is like a beautiful, poisonous flower.”

From Benedict's Author Snapshot at January Magazine::

For you, what is the easiest thing about being writer?

Revising.

What’s the most difficult?

Reading unpleasant reviews of my work. I’m all for hearing someone’s thoughts on my writing, even if they’re not crazy about it. I know my work won’t please/amuse/entertain everyone. But some reviewers seem to take a distinct pleasure in being particularly cruel. Now, I understand that I’ve put the work out there so folks get to say whatever they want. But it hurts sometimes and, yes, it can make me cry.

What question do you get asked about your writing most often?

How can you write the stories you write? You look like such a nice person!
Read the complete feature.

The Page 69 Test: Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts.

--Marshal Zeringue