Saturday, August 29, 2009

Colum McCann

Colum McCann is the author of two collections of short stories and five novels, including This Side of Brightness, Dancer and Zoli, all of which were international best-sellers. His newest novel is Let the Great World Spin.

From his Q & A with Anna Metcalfe for the Financial Times:

What is the last thing you read that made you laugh out loud?

Apart from my tax bill, which made me laugh until I cried, there are parts of Aleksandar Hemon’s The Lazarus Project that are poignant and perfectly weighted.

What is your most memorable reading experience?

I recently spent two weeks in hospital and had a chance to re-read Ulysses. At a certain point, my dead grandfather stepped into the room with me. The book brought him alive – a man who had stepped down the very same streets that Leopold Bloom journeyed on in 1904. The whole reading experience was one of the most wonderful I’ve had in years.[read on]
Visit Colum McCann's website.

--Marshal Zeringue