Saturday, February 26, 2011

Patrick Rothfuss

Patrick Rothfuss is the author of The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.

From a Q & A at his publisher's website:

Your first novel, The Name of the Wind introduces the hero (or some may say anti-hero) Kvothe as a larger-than-life living legend.

I don't know if I'd call him larger-than-life. His reputation is larger-than-life, certainly. The man himself is remarkably life-sized. I think that's part of the reason people like him.

How did you create him?

I got the idea for Kvothe after I finished reading Cyranno De Bergerac for the first time. I was completely knocked over by that character. He was passionate, arrogant, witty, clever, a fighter, a poet, a philosopher. He was compelling and interesting, and a bit of a bastard, but you loved him and felt sorry for him. I remember thinking, "Why haven't I ever read a fantasy novel with a character this good?"

Shortly after that I read Casanova's memoirs. That's when I realized that autobiography could be really compelling so long as the person's life is exciting, and their personality is interesting.

Those two things might not have been the seed for the book, they were certainly around when the seed was sprouting....

What contemporary superhero would you put Kvothe up against?

Batman.

Who would win?

Ah hell. If we're talking about...[read on]
Visit Patrick Rothfuss's website and blog.

Patrick Rothfuss's "The Name of the Wind," the movie.

--Marshal Zeringue