Saturday, January 12, 2013

Doris Kearns Goodwin

Doris Kearns Goodwin's books include Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, which served as the basis of Steven Spielberg’s movie Lincoln.

From her Q & A with Erik Spanberg for the Christian Science Monitor:

Q: How does it feel to have “Team of Rivals” back in the headlines?

It’s been a wild ride.... I finished the book in 2005 and [Steven] Spielberg got the rights to it in 2000. And it just happened luckily to come out during this time of the lame-duck session [of Congress] so that it sends a connection. We never could have imagined [how timely it would be] so many years ago, when both of us took so long to make the book and the movie.

Q: How did your book catch Spielberg’s attention?

Spielberg has always wanted to make a movie about Lincoln. It predated my book or my involvement. It’s been in his heart for a long time. I met [Spielberg], actually, in 1999.... And when he found out that I was doing a book on Lincoln – I was four years into the book at that time – he said...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue