Monday, July 15, 2013

Adam Mitzner

Adam Mitzner is the author of A Conflict of Interest and A Case of Redemption.

From his Q & A at My Bookish Ways:

Obviously, your experience as a lawyer gives you tons of inside info for your novels, but did you have to do any other research for A Case of Redemption?

I have handled criminal cases, but never a murder case. As a result, I consulted with a close friend (the same law school roommate who doubted that I could write a book like The Firm) on issues particular to murder trials. Also, I needed some expert help concerning the forensic issues.

In your writing, are you a plotter or a pantser?

A pantser. I like to write the way I like to read – wondering what’s going to happen next.

What are some of your biggest literary influences?

In my opinion, Scott Turow writes the best legal thrillers. Readers have emailed me to tell me that A Conflict of Interest is the best legal thriller they’ve ever read, and I wonder if they’ve read Presumed Innocent. I’m also a big fan of Ethan Canin, especially his first book, The Palace Thief, which is a collection of short stories. I re-read it every so often and try to figure out how he presents such complex characters in so few pages.

If you could recommend one title (besides your own) to someone, off the top of your head, which one would it be?

As I said, Scott Turow’s Presumed Innocent is the gold standard for legal thrillers. To Kill A Mockingbird is a different type of lawyer book, but it has withstood the test of time because it’s so marvelous. If I was going to recommend a book for sheer beauty of the language, it would be...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Adam Mitzner's website.

The Page 69 Test: A Conflict of Interest.

Writers Read: Adam Mitzner (May 2011).

My Book, The Movie: A Conflict of Interest.

The Page 69 Test: A Case of Redemption.

My Book, The Movie: A Case of Redemption.

Writers Read: Adam Mitzner.

--Marshal Zeringue