Saturday, March 7, 2015

Brian Abrams

Brian Abrams is the author of Party Like A President: True Tales Of Inebriation, Lechery And Mischief From The Oval Office.

From his interview with NPR's David Greene:

GREENE: One question not answered for me in this book is which president you'd want to have a beer with.

ABRAMS: I think I'm going to have to go with Gerald Ford.

GREENE: Really?

ABRAMS: I think so because at least we could talk about movies and music. If I said Chester A. Arthur, I don't know exactly what the conversation would sound like.

GREENE: (Laughter).

ABRAMS: But in the case of Ford, his first Air Force One flight, he is about to get his photograph taken. He had a martini in front of him because Ford generally drank two gin martinis on every Air Force One flight. And the photographer steps in and grabs the stem of the martini glass and says, oh, excuse me, Mr. President. Let me just get this out of the way first. I mean, they must have loved him.

GREENE: You mean it's kind of charming that he hadn't even thought of that. He was just being a regular guy holding a martini and is like, you know, whatever. Take my picture.

ABRAMS: Yeah. He's unassuming. I mean, there was also - his first month or two in office, there was a dinner at the White House for the king of Jordan, and he was caught on the dance floor dancing to...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue