Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Attica Locke

Attica Locke's new novel is Bluebird, Bluebird.

From her Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: How did you come up with the idea for Bluebird, Bluebird, and for your character Darren Mathews?

A: I grew up in East Texas and all of my family roots can be traced to towns along Highway 59, and I wanted to start a book series that is steeped in that world. Imagining small town secrets was half the fun.

Darren came to me as a character when I realized I would need a character who could confront mysteries up and down Highway 59. Texas Rangers have wide jurisdiction and so it seemed like a fit.

Also, writing about a black law enforcement officer who is ambivalent about the badge seemed interesting to me and a perfect character for our time.

Q: How important is setting to you in your work, and could this book have been set in another place besides East Texas?

A: Absolutely...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Attica Locke's website.

The Page 69 Test: Black Water Rising.

--Marshal Zeringue