Thursday, July 26, 2018

Janna King

Janna King's new novel is The Seasonaires.

From her Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: What was the inspiration for The Seasonaires, and for your character Mia?

A: Not to sound narcissistic, but Mia is a lot of me. She's a fish out of water, feeling like the outcast at the “popular kids” party. I've always felt that way, even though it may have seemed like I had it together.

With age, I don’t really even try to “put it on” anymore. I’m a proud mess and am very attracted to the messiness of life, which is a theme in the novel. The curated, aspirational brand ambassador lifestyle portrayed in The Seasonaires seems so perfect. We all know nothing is perfect.

Also, like me, Mia wants to be optimistic, but she’s cautious. I’m a realist, even a pessimist sometimes, with a lot of deep down hope. I want things to work out, but prepare myself for anything (though nothing could’ve prepared Mia for what happens during her summer).

Mia’s moxie is inspired by my daughter, who will go head-on at any challenge. Mia has a goal: she sees the world of fashion as a way out of her difficult home life, so she applies for the job as seasonaire even though she has no idea what she’s doing and she’s breaking some rules.

She’s also a bit...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue