Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Taylor Adams

Taylor Adams directed the acclaimed short film And I Feel Fine in 2008 and graduated from Eastern Washington University with the Excellence in Screenwriting Award and the prestigious Edmund G. Yarwood Award. His directorial work has screened at the Seattle True Independent Film Festival and his writing has been featured on KAYU-TV’s Fox Life blog. He has worked in the film/television industry for several years and lives in Washington state.

Adams's new novel is No Exit.

From the author's Parade Q&A with Lambeth Hochwald:

We have to know how you came up with this storyline.

The first thing I do is keep a draft document open with tons of half-formed ideas, possible settings and characters and match them together. I’ll then come up with a premise of something I might not mind spending a year working on. In this case, it was the rest stop as a setting, wayward college student as a heroine and the villain underestimating the heroine. I wanted to play with their shifting perception of each other. I also wanted to convey the idea of witnessing a crime worthy of intervention and what happens next.

You sound really nice, but I have to say No Exit is really scary. How does a nice guy like you write such terrifying stuff?

I’ve gotten that before. One of my dad’s co-workers read one of my books and asked if it bothered him that there’s so much darkness in it. I totally get it. I don’t think I’m different in person as I am as a writer. It’s more that...[read on]
Visit Taylor Adams's website.

The Page 69 Test: No Exit.

--Marshal Zeringue