Sunday, October 6, 2019

Clay McLeod Chapman

Clay McLeod Chapman's new novel is The Remaking.

From the transcript of his NPR interview with Scott Simon:

SIMON:... Your novel suggests that witches are tired of having their stories appropriated.

CHAPMAN: Yes.

SIMON: They want to tell their own stories.

CHAPMAN: I think, you know, women in general - like, why relegate it to witches? But I think with this specific story, yes, like, it's - I want to focus on this idea of the autre (ph), the male gaze, you know, suddenly kind of boxing these particular women in.

And, you know, time and time again, we take these stories, and we spin them out until they're no longer owned by the people who are kind of the source, the point of origin. And I think that goes into filmmaking, novel writing. I'm - my hands aren't clean here. There's blood on my hands.

SIMON: I was about to point out, I mean, this is clear source appropriation on your part.

CHAPMAN: Yeah, and I want to kind of own that. One of the biggest questions I asked writing this was...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue