Sunday, June 28, 2020

Brianna Wolfson

Brianna Wolfson is the author of Rosie Colored Glasses and the newly released That Summer in Maine.

My Q&A with the author:

How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The title, That Summer in Maine, sets the stage for where the majority our story will take place, and suggests that Maine is a destination, not a home. The characters that occupy the stage, and the drama that will unfold, is left more to the imagination.

What's in a name?

The character that the plot revolves around is Eve. She is, almost above all else, naive and her naivete that leads to the inciting incident of the story. I think you can see where we are going here! This is definitely a reference to Eve, the first woman, who succumbs to the temptation to eat the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. In That Summer in Maine, Eve similarly succumbs to the temptation of knowledge; in her case, to explore her familiar roots by reuniting with her biological father.

How surprised would your teenage reader self be by your new novel?

Not at all! Two of the four primary characters are in their teens. That Summer in Maine is very much a story of daugtherhood and motherhood, and I envision, and hope, that teenagers and adults alike can see themselves in and empathize with these characters.

Do you find it harder to write beginnings or endings? Which do you change more?

Endings. All great characters start with great flaws and the story is built on how the characters address those flaws.

Do you see much of yourself in your characters? Do they have any connection to your personality, or are they a world apart?

My first novel, Rosie Colored Glasses, drew a lot from my personal story. This isn't as much the case with That Summer in Maine, but I always feel like my characters reflect parts of me (even the villains). With this novel specifically I wanted to explore the relationships between non-blood relatives because that has been a really important part of my upbringing.

What non-literary inspirations have influenced your writing?

My family is always a source of inspiration and story telling. I come from a rambunctious, feelings-forward, bunch, which I think is what allows me to take so many different perspectives in my writing.
Visit Brianna Wolfson's website.

--Marshal Zeringue