Friday, January 19, 2024

Nashae Jones

Nashae Jones is a kid lit writer, because at an early age she learned what the magic of books could do for a developing mind. She always dreamed of creating worlds that would stay for a reader long after they put down their books. Jones is also an educator and book reviewer (kid books, of course). She lives in Virginia with her husband, daughter, son, escape artist husky, and two black cats that Jones is convinced are reincarnations of Pinky and the Brain.

Her new novel is Courtesy of Cupid.

My Q&A with the author:

How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

My title went through many different iterations. While writing my first draft, my book took on the working title Cupidly Ever After. Before going on submission to editors, we decided to change the name to Stupid Cupid, something my agent and I felt reflected the clumsy actions of the book’s demi-god protagonist. After the book got acquired by Aladdin, and the book went through editorial changes, we decided as a team to change the name again, finding that Courtesy of Cupid was the perfect title to reflect the quirky humor and sweetness in the book.

What's in a name?

I wish there was something that I could point to as distinctly literary about my characters’ names, but instead my characters are named based off of people and things that I love. My protagonist, Erin Johnson, has the nickname EJ which pays homage to my husband’s family. He and his siblings all go by nicknames that end in J. Other characters are ripped from my everyday life. For example, Erin’s English teacher, Ms. Richmond, is modeled and named after my real-life friend.

How surprised would your teenage reader self be by your novel?

I think my teenage self would’ve enjoyed reading my novel. It would have made me laugh, and it would’ve brought me joy. I think at the same time, I would’ve also been hard on myself for reading something that was very clearly genre-fiction. Teenage me was a bit of a snob.

Do you find it harder to write beginnings or endings? Which do you change more?

I think there is something invigorating about starting a new project. I’m fresh-faced and filled with hope, and it is always easier for me to come up with beginnings to my stories. Conclusions are definitely harder for me since by the time I reach the end of the story, I’m anxious to be finished.

Do you see much of yourself in your characters? Do they have any connection to your personality, or are they a world apart?

The character I connect with most in my book is my protagonist, Erin's, mother. Erin’s mother ghostwrites romance books, and she throws Erin a Valentine’s Day themed birthday party even though Erin despises Valentine’s Day. As a mother of a tween and teen, I understand how mothers can sometimes misconstrue what their children want.

What non-literary inspirations have influenced your writing?

As an eighties baby, I love older eighties and nineties music, tv shows, and movies. I find that, subconsciously, a lot of eighties and nineties references slip into my writing.
Visit Nashae Jones's website.

--Marshal Zeringue