Saturday, July 24, 2010

Jennie Rooney

Jennie Rooney is the author of Inside the Whale and The Opposite of Falling.

From her Q & A with Boyd Tonkin for The Independent:

Choose a favourite author and say why you like her/him

I would probably say Julian Barnes or Muriel Spark. I read both authors' works when I was younger and I've never got over that affection you have for the first books you read that really blow you away.

* * *
Which fictional character most resembles you?

My brother and I have a joke about me being Miss Jean Brodie. I work as a teacher part-time, which inspired the comparison, I think.

* * *
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?

Mary Kingsley. She was a Victorian lady adventurer who looked after her elderly parents, then her brother, and when they died, she went off to West Africa – an ordinary Victorian women with her umbrella.
Read the complete Q & A.

--Marshal Zeringue