Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Duane Swierczynski

Duane Swierczynski is the author of several crime thrillers, including the Edgar-nominated and Anthony Award-winning Expiration Date, as well the Charlie Hardie series (Fun and Games, Hell and Gone, Point and Shoot), which have been nominated for Anthony, Shamus, Macavity and Barry awards. Many of his novels are currently in development for TV.

From Swierczynski's Q & A with Robb Cadigan:

Hey Duane, when did you know you wanted to be a writer? When did you know you were one?

Sophomore year of high school, when I would write short horror stories and pass them to my friends -- who'd laugh or be grossed out, or ideally, both. I can't remember a moment where I 'knew," but I remember obsessing over the question during my high school and college years.

Who or what inspired you as a kid?

The Splatterpunk school of horror writers -- Clive Barker, David J. Schow, Skipp and Spector -- were huge influences. For their attitude as much as the material. It was my version of punk rock.

What creative work most recently inspired you?

I learn something from everything I read or listen to; right now I'm reading BURNT OFFERINGS by Robert Marasco, and it's a great lesson in how to write a slow burn. (Seriously, no pun intended...)

The most underrated creative (writer, musician, artist) is

Pretty much everyone I admire.

In moments of self doubt, how do you push through?

Like Mickey Spillane, I...[read on]
Visit Swierczynski's Secret Dead Blog.

My Book, The Movie: The Blonde.

--Marshal Zeringue