Sunday, June 8, 2014

Michael Connelly

Michael Connelly's latest novel is The Gods of Guilt.

From his 2013 Q & A with Noah Charney at The Daily Beast:

I understand that you’re a big Raymond Chandler fan. Which book is your favorite and why?

It’s The Little Sister. What has inspired me for going on 40 years is chapter 13. In that chapter Philip Marlowe, frustrated by the events of the day and the case he’s on, takes a ride around Los Angeles. He ruminates a bit on what is going on in his case, but the chapter has little to do with plot, and everything to do with the interplay of character and place. The book was published in 1949, and his descriptions of LA are still accurate. He’s able to cut away to the basic things about LA. At the time I read it, I’d never been in Los Angeles, but I instinctively knew that he had grabbed the character of place and connected it to the character of his protagonist. Wonderful. Years later I did make it to LA, and I started writing novels, and I would religiously re-read chapter 13, and I...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue