Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's new novel is Before We Visit the Goddess.

From her Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: Your new novel focuses on three generations of women. Why did you decide on that dynamic?

A: Before We Visit the Goddess looks at the connections and disconnections among three generations – that was important to me because I wanted to follow the dynamics of a family over a significant period of time and through differences in geography and culture to see what sustains us, and what poses challenges. Three seemed the right number.

Q: The book’s chapters jump around in time. Did you plan the structure before you started writing, or did you make many changes along the way?

A: I had always planned that this would be a non-chronological structure. It was a new challenge I wanted to set myself. I knew I wanted this novel to be organized around emotionally resonant moments and transformative moments in...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's website.

The Page 69 Test: Oleander Girl.

--Marshal Zeringue