Friday, February 23, 2007

Keith Raffel

Julia Buckley interviewed Keith Raffel about his debut novel Dot.Dead and related topics.

Two excerpts from the interview:

You spent twenty years working for “high tech companies, big and small.” Did you like working in Silicon Valley?

Starting my own company, building it up to success, working with an enthusiastic team – wow! That was terrific even if it transformed me into a monomaniac. At times, though, I have found myself tied up like a dogie on the range in the bureaucracy of larger companies. In those cases I just remind myself – like a caveman of yore going hunting mammoths with a club – that I am doing it to feed my family.

[snip]

What’s the premise of your mystery?

Ian Michaels is a Silicon Valley hotshot. One lunchtime he comes home to find a young, beautiful woman stabbed to death in his apartment. Gwendolyn Goldberg was a stranger to Ian, but her family, old boyfriend, and the Palo Alto police seem to think they were lovers. He waits for the police to start looking for the killer, but realizes they are building a case against him. It’s up to him. As the investigation heats up, so does Ian’s interest in Gwendolyn’s sister, Rowena. By the end of the book, Ian realizes that there are far more important things in life than stock options and business success.
Read the entire interview.

--Marshal Zeringue