Sunday, September 9, 2007

Renee Rosen

From a Q & A at debut novelist Renee Rosen's website:

Which writers have influenced you the most?

I think it’s more a case of which writers haven’t influenced me. I believe that everything I read – even the downright bad stuff – influences me in that sometimes it’s just as helpful to see the things I don’t want to do with my own work. As for individual authors who inspire me, a few automatically come to mind. I’m a huge fan of nuance and I think no one captures that element better than Mona Simpson. I also can’t get enough of anything written by Michael Cunningham, Susan Minot and Rand Richards Cooper. I also love Hemingway and Raymond Carver – their prose is so crisp and clean. Every word is so precise and never interferes with their storytelling.

Read the entire Q & A.

The Page 99 Test: Every Crooked Pot.

--Marshal Zeringue