Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Karin Alvtegen

From a Q & A at Edgar Award-nominee Karin Alvtegen's official website:

How does it feel to write about subjects such as shame, deceit and guilt?

I'm very interested in human psychology. Since I, myself, suffered from a deep depression and panic attacks in 1996, I know from experience how strongly our psyche affects our consciousness and our behaviour. The older I get, and the more I learn, the more I am convinced that we, ourselves, in many respects can affect how we feel by how we choose to think. However, sometimes certain conditions and other things make us loose track and require help.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it sometimes feels rough during my writing. I rarely work with depicting surroundings in my texts, but rather always find myself in the mind of the character I'm writing about, and at times that strongly affects me. However, since these books also aim to bring understanding into why my characters feel and act the way they do, I always end up feeling good afterwards. That's when it sometimes feels like I've learned something important.
Read the complete Q & A.

Karin Alvtegen's Missing is on Camilla Läckberg's list of the top 10 Swedish crime novels.

--Marshal Zeringue