Saturday, June 5, 2010

Attica Locke

Attica Locke is the author of the novel, Black Water Rising.

From her Q & A with the Independent:

Choose a favourite author and say why you like her/him

Larry Brown, who has just passed away. He was based out of Mississippi and the reason I love him is because he wrote about the American South with a great deal of compassion, and without mockery.

* * *
Which fictional character most resembles you?

I'm a cross between Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird - I had that wide-eyed admiration for my father who was a lawyer - and Jay Porter, the main character from my novel, who I am more like than I wish I were.

* * *
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?

Dr King, but not for the postage-stamp reason. I appreciate being able to vote and do all those things which the Civil Rights movement enables me to do, but I'm talking about a reason beyond that: his philosophical commitment to non-violence.
Read the complete Q & A.

The Page 69 Test: Black Water Rising.

--Marshal Zeringue