Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gail Bowen

Gail Bowen's new book is The Nesting Dolls.

From a Q & A at her publisher's website:

1. How would you summarize your book in one sentence?

The Nesting Dolls is about the potency of secrets and the redemptive power of love.

2. How long did it take you to write this book?

Two years, but during that time I also wrote a children’s play about the last of the Galapagos tortoises and a short novel for adult readers with literacy challenges. I also attended 186 recitals/badminton games/track meets and Christmas concerts in which our grandchildren played roles of varying significance and success.

3. Where is your favorite place to write?

Truthfully, Anglin Lake in Northern Saskatchewan. The lake is pristine with a large population of loons that still feel at home around non-invasive humans, and every day birds drop by the feeder outside the window where I write.

4. How do you choose your characters’ names?


For close to twenty years I’ve had people bid at charity events for cameo roles in my books. I think by now I might have raised about $50,000 for organizations like Oxfam, many cancer societies; literacy groups — in general just groups that I believe in. This year’s crop will include characters whose names were purchased by donors from Grandmothers 4 Grandmothers and Camp fYrefly a place where gay/lesbian/trans/ and other teens can feel comfortable being themselves.

5. How many drafts do you go through?

I’m a Virgo. Don’t ask, because even though the books in question, are already published, I’ll feel compelled to do a final polish.

6. If there was one book you wish you had written what would it be?.
..[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue