Friday, July 1, 2011

Steve Hockensmith

Steve Hockensmith is the author of Dawn of the Dreadfuls, the best-selling prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. He also writes the “Holmes on the Range” mystery series.

From his Q & A at The Zombiephiles about his latest novel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After:

Q. Why a Jane Austen classic? What in particular caused you to imagine zombies in the world of Miss Bennett?

I can’t take credit for that stroke of genius. If I could, I’d be typing my reply on the veranda of my new vacation home in the Bahamas. It was actually Jason Rekulak, associate publisher at Quirk Books, who dreamed up the zombie/Austen connection. He was looking for a way to mix goofy pop culture with a classic novel in the public domain. I’m just thankful he went with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and not Romeo & Juliet & Giant Transforming Robots or whatever.

Q. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in writing this series?

That I could write a series like this! I’d never tried my hand at romance or horror, so it was a little daunting taking on a project that mixed both. I had plenty of experience with humor, historical fiction and blending genres, though, so in the end it wasn’t that much of a change of pace.

Q. Tell us about the upcoming movie being made from the first book. Are you involved with the production?

This is...[read on]
Visit Steve Hockensmith's website.

My Book, The Movie: Dreadfully Ever After.

--Marshal Zeringue