Monday, September 5, 2011

Val McDermid

Val McDermid won the Crime Writers’ Association Gold Dagger Award for The Mermaids Singing (1995).

From her Q & A at Declan Burke's blog, Crime Always Pays:

What crime novel would you most like to have written?

If I was a mercenary bitch, I’d say THE DA VINCI CODE. But I’m not, so I’ll go with Reginald Hill’s ON BEULAH HEIGHT. Tender, savage, clever, funny and moving. Beautifully written and immaculately plotted. What’s not to envy?
* * *

Who do you read for guilty pleasures?

I go back to childhood and read the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent Dyer, and Agatha Christie.
* * *

Who are you reading right now?

It’s the time of year when I read mostly debut novels so I can put together my wish-list for next year’s Harrogate Festival new blood panel. So I’ve just started the proof of a first novel called TIDELINE by Penny Hancock which is not out till January. I’ve just finished a proof of Stuart Neville’s third novel, STOLEN SOULS, which somehow sneaked into the pile. And I can exclusively reveal that it’s nail-biting, gut-wrenching and nearly made me miss my stop on the train. Next up will be something called ABSOLUTE ZERO COOL by some Irish guy who claims he’s holding my wife, my kid and my dog hostage. ...[read on]
Learn about McDermid's literary influences and her hero from outside literature.

See Val McDermid's top ten Oxford novels.

--Marshal Zeringue