Monday, November 7, 2011

Mindy Kaling

The 32-year-old Emmy-nominated writer/actress/producer Mindy Kaling plays Kelly, the ditzy, pop-culture-obsessed customer-service rep on NBC’s The Office.

Kaling’s new book is Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns).

From her Q & A with Jessica Bennett at The Daily Beast:

When did you find time to write a book? You write about working 16-hour days.

One of the ways I unwind is by writing—and I’ll often do it in the form of an email to myself. So when I get home at night, I’ll open up an email, and I’ll put the date in the subject heading, and I’ll write myself something funny that happened or an observation I had. And that’s sort of how it started.

What’s your favorite way to waste time when you’re supposed to be writing?

I love online shopping. Online browsing more than anything. I don’t have an iPhone, which is good, because I love apps and games and things like that. Like I know there’s crazy shopping apps, and I’d be bankrupt.

Did you always know you wanted to do comedy?

I was always writing, even as a really little kid, like 5 or 6, I would write little plays on my parents’ typewriter. But I didn’t know it was comedy really until like high school.

Who were your role models as a teen?

I loved...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue