Saturday, November 10, 2012

Joe Schreiber

Joe Schreiber's young adult novels include the critically acclaimed Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick and the newly released Perry's Killer Playlist.

From his Q & A with John A. Sellers at Publishers Weekly:

One gets the sense from reading your books that you’re having a lot of fun with them—is that a fair way to describe your relationship with writing?

Absolutely. It came out of a desire to entertain myself. I wrote for an audience of one, at first. If I’m entertained with what I’m writing, I loosen up and the whole experience becomes a lot more fun.

You got your start writing for adults. You’ve written three horror novels and some science fiction set in the Star Wars universe. At what point did you start thinking about writing for teens?

With Au Revoir, it was written at a time when I wasn’t expecting or even thinking about the YA market in particular. I was working on book for LucasFilm, which was taking some time to finish up. There was this part of me that wanted to go in a different direction from wookiees and blasters. Something more fun, like the John Hughes movies from the ’80s, where there’s action but also ...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue