Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lachlan Smith

Lachlan Smith is an attorney and the author of Bear is Broken.

From his Q & A with Lenny Picker at Publishers Weekly:

What attracted you to the practice of law?

The law drew me from a young age, because of my mother, who went to law school when I was a kid, commuting a hundred miles each way to St. Paul from our home in western Minnesota. I was immensely proud of and inspired by her achievements (she eventually became a judge) and her deeply compassionate search for fairness.

How has your fiction writing changed since you became a lawyer?

By the time I started law school, I’d become bored with myself as a so-called “literary writer.”Achieving distance from the academy helped me rediscover my love for storytelling, and writing became fun again.

Where did this book come from?

The idea began to germinate after my first year of law school.I was working...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue