Monday, November 4, 2013

Lauren Roedy Vaughn

Lauren Roedy Vaughn is an award-winning educator who has spent twenty years teaching English to high school students with language-based learning disabilities. Vaughn lives with her husband in Los Angeles, where she is an avid yogini and Big Lebowski nut.

Her debut novel is OCD, The Dude, and Me. From Vaughn's Q & A with Kathy at I Am a Reader:

What is one book everyone should read?

I love so many books that it is difficult to recommend just one. But, if forced to choose, I think I’d go with The Brother’s K by David James Duncan. Mr. Duncan is an extraordinary writer and he captures the richness, beauty, and complications of family life so powerfully. The story is about love, brotherhood, and the importance of embracing and having compassion for others (especially those who are different from you). This novel lives on and on inside me; I’m very grateful it was written and that I read it. It is quite an achievement. I’m not doing it justice by my words here. It is the literary equivalent of Pablo Sandoval’s three homeruns in one World Series game. (I think Mr. Duncan would like my metaphor since The Brother’s K has a baseball theme.;)

If you could meet one person who has died who would you choose?

Maybe this is clichĂ©, but I’d like to meet Shakespeare. As a high school English teacher, I taught Hamlet for many years. I want to discuss that play with him and also be able to tell him that I believed he actually wrote all those stunning works. I want to tell him that my life is richer for reading them, watching them on stage and film and from performing in a few...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Lauren Roedy Vaughn's website.

Writers Read: Lauren Roedy Vaughn.

The Page 69 Test: OCD, The Dude, and Me.

My Book, The Movie: OCD, the Dude, and Me.

--Marshal Zeringue