Friday, May 2, 2014

David Oppegaard

David Oppegaard is the author of the Bram Stoker-nominated The Suicide Collectors, Wormwood, Nevada, The Ragged Mountains and And the Hills Opened Up. Oppegaard’s work is a blend of science fiction, literary fiction, horror, and fantasy. He lives in St. Paul, MN.

From Oppegaard's Q & A at This is Horror:

Do you prefer all out gore or psychological chills?

For fiction I’d say 85% chills and 15% gore. This lets the gore really stand out, like blood on a wedding dress.

Why should people read your work?

When I was in middle school (around ten years old) everybody in my grammar class had to write a story and read it in front of the class. I got really into it and wrote ten pages on our black and white Macintosh and then printed the story out and bound it with yarn, using black and red construction paper for the cover. The story was called ‘Deadly Forces’ and concerned a man named Axel Gibson (I was really into GNR and Lethal Weapon) who underwent various ordeals as he passed through a violently haunted castle in a quest for a magical amulet. I read my story last. The bell rang for the end of class while I was still in the middle of the story, but nobody made a move to leave (and we normally flew out of that damn grammar class) so I kept reading until the end of the story – Axel Gibson triumphed and I received a loud ovation. I’ve...[read on]
Visit David Oppegaard's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: The Suicide Collectors.

The Page 69 Test: Wormwood, Nevada.

The Page 69 Test: And the Hills Opened Up.

My Book, The Movie: And the Hills Opened Up.

--Marshal Zeringue