Sunday, February 28, 2016

Idra Novey

Idra Novey's new novel is Ways to Disappear.

From her Q & A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: How important is setting in your work, and could this novel have taken place somewhere other than Brazil?

A: This book is very much a response to the particular joys and chaos of Brazil. I translated three different Brazilian authors before writing it and getting to know them and their work and Brazil itself was what led me to write it. It is my love letter to Brazil and the lush images in its literature.

Q: How did you choose the book’s title, and what does it signify for you?

A: I started the book before having children and chose the title with travel and translation in mind, how they both create opportunities to disappear, but over the many drafts of the book I had two children and began to write about the way...[read on]
Visit Idra Novey's website.

--Marshal Zeringue