Friday, January 13, 2017

Ruta Sepetys

Ruta Sepetys's most recent young adult novel is Salt to the Sea. From her Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: How did you come up with the idea for Salt to the Sea?

A: My father's cousin knows that I love hidden history and underrepresented stories. She told me about the tragedy of the Wilhelm Gustloff and I was passionate to write not only about the single largest maritime disaster in history, but about the refugee evacuation as well.

Q: You write from the perspectives of four different characters. How did you settle on these characters, and what did you do to differentiate their voices?

A: As I was researching the novel, I traveled to many different countries. I quickly learned that even if human beings experience the same event, they all have different interpretations because we all look through our own unique lens. So I created characters to represent the various lenses I encountered.

Differentiating their voices was...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue