Sunday, October 15, 2017

Fiona Davis

Fiona Davis's latest novel is The Address.

From her Q&A with Jennifer Vido at MomTrends:

What inspired you to write The Address, set in the Dakota in New York City?

I love the history of old buildings. I always begin with an architectural landmark when I’m figuring out a new book. Back in the Gilded Age, the Upper West Side of New York was largely undeveloped. The owner and architect for the Dakota took a huge risk in putting up a luxury apartment house that far away from the city proper. I did some research and discovered that the Dakota has a rich history – from the time it was built in the 1880s up to today – full of tragedy, intrigue, and drama. It made for a perfect setting for a work of historical fiction with two timelines.

Let’s talk about the alternating time periods of the story. How much research was necessary in order for the novel to ring true with your readers?

For the story line set in 1884, I read novels and newspapers from the period, as well as books and articles on the Dakota and New York City. I toured the building and got an inside look, from the basement to the top floors where the servants used to sleep. The second timeline, set in the 1980s...[read on]
Visit Fiona Davis's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Address.

--Marshal Zeringue