Sunday, February 25, 2018

Jill Abramson

Almost 25 years ago, Jill Abramson and Jane Mayer wrote the book Strange Justice: The Selling of Clarence Thomas. From Abramson's February 2018 Q&A with Slate's Isaac Chotiner:

From your reporting on Thomas, is there any aspect of his tenure on the court that has surprised you or gone differently than you would have expected?

Nothing has surprised me. After his confirmation, he put a sign up, I think on his desk, that said, “I ain’t evolving.” And what he meant is some of the Republicans who championed his confirmation said that because of his background, because he grew up poor, African American in the South, he would empathize with people, and that his positions would evolve on the court. And I actually think none of that has come to pass.

He could have just put up a “No empathy” sign.

Yeah. I think it’s...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue