Saturday, July 21, 2018

Anne Tyler

Anne Tyler's latest novel is Clock Dance.

From her Q&A with Lisa O'Kelly for the Guardian:

Is there a classic novel that you feel you should have read but haven’t?

I have tried several times to read Wuthering Heights but it just strikes me as silly, so I always quit it. I don’t tell any of my friends this because women have very fond memories of reading it when they’re young and I don’t want to hurt their feelings.

Is there a book that you expected to like but didn’t like?

Oh, there are so many of those. I have a really strong dislike of the quartet of books by Elena Ferrante [the Neapolitan novels]. I can’t tell you how many people have told me I’m going to love them, and I couldn’t even finish the first one, let alone go on. A couple of times I was rude enough to say so to a friend and we came practically to blows. People feel very strongly about those books. But I just felt everything I was reading was fake. And there are so many other things to read. Having said that, I’m aware that I’m not fascinated by the subject of friendships, it’s not as fascinating...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue