Thursday, December 13, 2018

Kitty Zeldis

Kitty Zeldis is the pseudonym for a novelist and non-fiction writer of books for adults and children. She lives with her family in Brooklyn, NY.

Her new novel is Not Our Kind.

From the author's Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: You write that your time as a Vassar student in the 1970s was the inspiration for Not Our Kind. How did your own experiences shape the characters you created, and why did you choose to set the novel in post-World War II New York?

A: I loved being a student at Vassar and feel very fortunate that I was able to attend the college. But it was also my first encounter with WASP culture on such a large scale and it both intimidated and fascinated me.

And as much as I loved Vassar, I distinctly felt that the historically, the institution would have been one that excluded me—I was the "not our kind" of the book’s title.

I chose post-World War II New York as the setting for the book because I felt that the issues it raised were even more sharply delineated then. The word “restricted” (which was the working title of the novel for quite a while) was a word used...[read on]
My Book, The Movie: Not Our Kind.

Writers Read: Kitty Zeldis.

Coffee with a Canine: Kitty Zeldis & Dottie.

--Marshal Zeringue