Sunday, January 6, 2019

Anna Crowley Redding

Anna Crowley Redding is the author of the new young adult book Google It: A History of Google.

From her Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: How did you research the book, and did you learn anything that especially surprised you?

A: When I research, the first thing I do is read as much as humanly possible on any topic. Books, articles, interviews, whatever I can get my hands on. And then I pick up the phone and start calling people who touch any part of a subject that requires a deeper understanding.

There were so many things that surprised me and fascinated me about Google. One of the aspects of the research that I loved was talking to people who used Google’s technology in a life-changing way.

Like the first driverless car passenger, a man who is legally blind. To be able to get into a car and go wherever you need to is something that I personally take for granted day in and day out.

After talking to Steve, whose story is featured in the book, it was really...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue