Monday, March 4, 2019

William Boyle

William Boyle's new novel is A Friend Is a Gift You Give Yourself.

From his Q&A at The Book Spine:

Congratulations on your upcoming release, A Friend Is A Gift You Give Yourself, I couldn’t get enough of it. The main characters are three strong-willed women. Were they inspired by anyone in particular?

Thanks so much! There are bits and pieces of people I’ve known in these characters, people from around my neighborhood in Brooklyn or in the Bronx where my wife’s family is from, but I’d say they’re equally, if not more so, inspired by actors I love in movies I love. Gena Rowlands in Gloria was an inspiration, as was Geena Davis in The Long Kiss Goodnight. I thought often of Michelle Pfeiffer in Married to the Mob. Everything I write, in some ways, is inspired by Edie Falco and Marisa Tomei. I thought of Susan Sarandon and Helen Mirren a lot. I definitely saw Jessica Lange as Mo.

A Friend Is A Gift You Give Yourself definitely has a big screen feel to it. Several movies and TV programmes get a mention in your new book. What’s your all-time favourite TV show and movie?

Oh, wow. It’s tough to narrow it down. Twin Peaks is my all-time favorite show, but there are many others I love: The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, and Freaks and Geeks especially come to mind. As for movies, it’s an even tougher call. My list of favorites is constantly shifting and changing. I love...[read on]
Visit William Boyle's website.

My Book, The Movie: Gravesend and The Lonely Witness.

The Page 69 Test: Gravesend and The Lonely Witness.

Writers Read: William Boyle (September 2018).

--Marshal Zeringue