Monday, January 15, 2024

Lucy Connelly

Lucy Connelly loves traveling the world, but her favorite place is at home with her dogs and family. That said, she's always up for adventure and is constantly on the lookout for killer inspiration--as in who will be the next killer in her books? She has a master's degree in humanities and enjoys learning all the things. And she's been published by many other names.

Connelly's new novel is Death at a Scottish Wedding.

My Q&A with the author:

How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Death at a Scottish Wedding tells the reader precisely what they are getting into with this mystery.

What's in a name?

Dr. Emilia McRoy name means strong woman. That’s why I picked it. I gave her a Scottish last name because looking into her heritage, something she knows little about is integral to finding her place in the world.

How surprised would your teenage reader self be by your new novel?

My teenage self would be astonished that I wrote a book, but maybe not that it was a mystery. I’ve always loved mystery novels. The genre has been a favorite since those Nancy Drew books from my childhood.

Do you find it harder to write beginnings or endings?

Beginnings are the most difficult. It is the introduction into the world that is the novel. Which do you change more? My endings tend to come more naturally than beginnings do. So, I probably change the beginnings much more often. However, sometimes the person I thought was the killer changes by the end of the book.

Do you see much of yourself in your characters?

A bit of the writer slips into their main characters. I tend to write about strong women with great friend groups that are supportive and kind. That’s where real life may bleed into the work. I don’t know what I would do without my friends.

Do they have any connection to your personality, or are they a world apart?

This depends on the book I’m writing. Dr. Emilia McRoy in Death at a Scottish Wedding is someone different from me. However, we have some things in common, like those strong friend groups. She’s much braver than I could ever be.

What non-literary inspirations have influenced your writing?

Scotland was a big inspiration for this series. It’s a beautiful country, and the people there are fantastic.
Visit Lucy Connelly's website.

The Page 69 Test: Death at a Scottish Wedding.

--Marshal Zeringue