Saturday, September 28, 2024

Elom Akoto

Elom K. Akoto immigrated to the United States from Togo (West Africa). He earned a bachelor’s degree in Education and a master’s degree in TESOL (Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages). He is the founder of Learn and Care, a nonprofit organization that aims to promote Literacy and Adult Education, not only among immigrants but also among Native Americans who missed the opportunity to earn a high school diploma. The program offers ESL, literacy, GED preparation classes, and more. He self-published two ESL workbooks: Ideal Companion, ESL level 1 and Ideal Companion, ESL level 2. He teaches French in a high school and ESL at a community college in Omaha, Nebraska, where he lives with his family.

Akoto's debut novel is Blindspot in America.

My Q&A with the author:

How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The final title of my debut novel, Blindspot in America, was not the original title I gave it. I was unhappy when my publisher decided it was best to find a new title for the book because of how cliché In the Dream of America would appear to potential readers. The publisher then included me in the task of finding a new title. After tossing words around, Blindspot in America seemed to fit the story better, as it depicts how prospective immigrants’ conception of America excludes or instead omits some crucial aspects and realities of their future adopted country. Those aspects and realities constitute the spots they didn’t see in their dream of America.

What's in a name?

I was looking for an uncommon name for the protagonist of my novel, and Kamao came to me quickly. Although it doesn’t mean anything, to my knowledge, it sounded like a good name for an intelligent, idealist African young man immigrating to the United States.

Brad and Lindsey McAdams are good names for a wealthy, influential, conservative US senator and his more down-to-earth, well-mannered daughter.

Nana, a name attributed to a “chief,” “king,” or “royalty” in Ghana, is most fitting for Kamao’s father. This well-respected and wealthy academic also happens to be the health secretary.

How surprised would your teenage reader self be by your novel?

Referring to what Toni Morrison said about writing a book that one wants to read but hasn’t been written, I would have loved to read Kamao’s story if it had been written by someone else when I was a teenager because it would have allowed me to discover another side of America that I didn’t know about racism, discrimination, the influence of class, and power.

Do you find it harder to write beginnings or endings? Which do you change more?

Surprisingly, I had little trouble writing this novel's beginning and ending. They were the two most important parts I settled with quickly and relatively easily. Once I knew and liked how the story started and ended and felt comfortable with them, I thought it would be a good story. The part that I had to rewrite mostly was the middle part, the story's evolution, and the plot's details.

Do you see much of yourself in your characters? Do they have any connection to your personality, or are they a world apart?

Kamao appears knowledgeable and idealistic, and I see myself posing those attributes a bit.

Besides those, I don’t feel like I have much in common with other characters, many of whom are immigrants from different parts of the world I’m only familiar with through my research and readings.

What non-literary inspirations have influenced your writing?

My experience as an immigrant in America has tremendously influenced my writing. What I dreamt about the US was not what I’ve experienced in my almost twenty years in this country. There are some things I went through that felt senseless and nearly inhumane, but I also always believe in America’s promise of freedom and opportunity for all. I think I’m an example of the story of my novel because I’m becoming a published author today, besides the struggles that I knew. Although it is not given nor a guarantee, the opportunity is always there, somewhere in this country, for every individual to achieve their goal and potential.
Visit Elom Akoto's website.

My Book, The Movie: Blindspot in America.

--Marshal Zeringue