Saturday, October 1, 2011

Erin Morgenstern

Erin Morgenstern is a writer and a multimedia artist, who describes all her work as "fairy tales in one way or another."

Her new book is The Night Circus.

From Morgenstern's Q & A with Alexandra Alter at the Wall Street Journal's Speakeasy blog:

You also paint. Does that influence your writing?

It’s helpful for me to get ideas — the physical action of painting. Sometimes it frees up your writer brain. It’s nice for me now that the writing has become a serious career that painting can become more like a hobby.

In the past few months your novel has gotten a lot of attention at entertainment industry events like Book Expo of America and Comic-Con. What has that been like, going from writing alone at your computer to meeting Twilight fans?

Comic-Con was crazy, good crazy….Five minutes after I’m done, the cast of “Twilight” is where I was sitting… It was Summit that had me out there. It was very movie focused. The movie, it’s too much to even think about for me. I have a little bit of input. My agent [Richard Pine] is one of the producers, so there’s going to be a lot of back and forth. I’ve talked a lot to people from Summit. They’re really being thoughtful about putting together the right people. I think the book is in good hands. I don’t think it’s something that’s going to...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue