Thursday, October 27, 2011

Scott Spencer

Scott Spencer's books include Man in the Woods, Endless Love, and A Ship Made of Paper.

From his 2010 Q & A with Cynthia Crossen at the Wall Street Journal:

The Wall Street Journal: You live in a small town? what makes that appealing as a writer?

Mr. Spencer: It's like being a painter--you paint what's outside the door. There aren't so many of us here, so we don't have to protect ourselves from each other as much. People aren't as guarded. I can see the lives of others fairly close-up.

One of the pivotal characters in "Man in the Woods" is Shep the dog. You obviously have a dog.

I have three rescue dogs, one of them is named Shep. When I got him he was about two years old. I don't know the adventures Shep had, but he looked like he'd been kind of banged around. I imagined the terrible person who had given Shep such a hard time in the first part of his life.

What was the seed of "Man in the Woods"?

I was wondering about my...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue