Thursday, March 1, 2007

Jeffrey Cohen

Julia Buckley interviewed Jeff Cohen, author of As Dog Is My Witness.

Part of the interview:

I'm curious, because I've been introducing my sons to the joys of the Marx Brothers this summer, and you reference them a couple times in the book. Were they a big influence on you as a kid (or an adult)?

I first "met" the Marx Bros. when I was in high school. Late one night, when my father was asleep (he was a store owner, and got up at some ungodly hour), I happened across "Horse Feathers" and was cackling madly five minutes into the movie. My mother walked in, took a look, shook her head and said, "your father likes them, too," and then walked away. My life had changed.

Really I think all modern humor stems from Groucho in some way. But I'm a bit biased.

Yeah, but Harpo is sublime. The Marxes will be featured more prominently in my next book, actually.
Read the entire interview.

Check out the Page 69 Test results for As Dog Is My Witness.

--Marshal Zeringue