Saturday, August 2, 2008

Kelli Stanley

Kelli Stanley is a mystery writer and a classicist. Her new novel is Nox Dormienda: A Long Night for Sleeping.

Two exchanges from her January Magazine Author Snapshot:

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Writing is something I’ve always done. Because of that, I think, as a child I never had the goal of becoming a writer. Writing was always there, and I suppose I sort of took it for granted. I planned to become an actress when I graduated from high school, and I wanted to direct films. But by the time I was an adult, I realized that I actually needed to write (and in a more disciplined way than scratching out poetry or essays). So I started with screenplays initially, and turned to novels when I was back in college, finishing up my Master’s Degree. Nox Dormienda was my first attempt at writing one. And now, of course, I wouldn’t trade being a writer for anything.

* * * *
Please tell us about Nox Dormienda.

It’s a historical mystery-thriller, written for people who don’t like historical fiction without (hopefully) displeasing those who do! It’s been described by Ken Bruen as “Ellis Peters rewritten by Elmore Leonard” and by other reviewers as a fantasy collaboration of Lindsey Davis and Raymond Chandler. The style and pace are classic hardboiled, 1930s-style vintage noir, while the setting and background are authentic first century AD Roman Londinium.
Read the complete snapshot.

Visit Kelli Stanley's website and her blog.

--Marshal Zeringue