Monday, May 25, 2009

Anna David

Anna David's novel, Bought, about a high-price prostitution ring, is just out from Harper Paperbacks.

From her interview with The Daily Beast's Marty Beckerman:

Bought originated with your 2004 Details article on women in Los Angeles who charge $10,000 to $100,000 per job. Why do you find that subject so fascinating?

I knew nothing about hookers, and nobody in that scene wanted to talk to me because they feared even anonymous quotes would give them away. And then I found this madam everyone hated, and they were all happy to tell me everything about her. Suddenly I had madams, girls, and FBI informants on the phone. As soon as I said this woman’s name, the floodgates would open because everyone wanted revenge against her… My editor wanted to make it “how the rich get their rocks off” instead of a deeper investigation into how this worked. The finished story almost read like an advertisement for that madam. She got clients out of it!

Did the hookers you interviewed have hearts of gold, or were they drugged-up pains?...[read on]
Visit Anna David's website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue