Saturday, July 11, 2009

Joshua Blu Buhs

The Los Angeles Times "Jacket Copy" blog interviewed Joshua Blu Buhs, author of Bigfoot: The Life and Times of a Legend. The exchange opens:

Jacket Copy: Straight from the start, you tell us that Bigfoot doesn’t exist. Even though you say there is no Bigfoot, why did you choose to pursue this mythical creature in your writing?

Buhs: Initially it was the fact that I didn’t think Bigfoot existed, which was interesting to me. It was also about American ideas of what the natural world is. Sort of like: Here’s a screen on which people can project their ideas about nature. Though it turned out not to be as much about nature as I originally thought it would be.

JC: Did you ever believe in Bigfoot as a kid?

Buhs: I think, looking back, it is possible. As I grew up, I became more interested in standard and mainstream science.

JC: Why are Americans obsessed with this legend? Where did the myth come from?

Buhs: The myth of Bigfoot really...[read on]
Read more about Bigfoot: The Life and Times of a Legend.

--Marshal Zeringue