Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sarah Pekkanen

Sarah Pekkanen's new novel, Skipping a Beat, releases this month.

From a Q & A about her debut novel The Opposite of Me, published last year:

What was the inspiration for your book? Is it based on any real events in your life?

Nope; it’s pure fiction. I’m lucky to have two brothers I adore, but I’ve always wondered what it would be like to have a sister. I’m fascinated by the rich, complex relationships my friends have with their sisters – so when it came time to write The Opposite of Me, I made the relationship between Lindsey and Alex as messy and loving and complicated and competitive as possible.

I’m also intrigued by the way people get assigned certain labels in their family, like the “smart” one, the “pretty sister,” the “drama queen,” or the “peacemaker.” What if those labels don’t fit how we feel inside? What if they’re all wrong for who we are really meant to be?

What do you think the term “chick lit” means today? Is that what you would consider this story?

I think chick lit refers to fun, smart books about women who are figuring out their choices in life. As in every other genre, there is a wide range of books - some better than others. I’m not sure if The Opposite of Me will be classified as chick lit. I’m just hoping people will think of it as a good book!

Have you had bosses like the ones in the story? Or were you that type of driven employee yourself?

Luckily, I’ve...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue