Saturday, August 13, 2011

Kathryn Stockett

Kathryn Stockett is the author of the novel The Help. From her Q & A with Alexandra Alter at the Wall Street Journal's Speakeasy blog:

The book was somewhat controversial when it came out, with some critics arguing that it peddled in stereotypes about race and the south.

I’ve heard there are some people in Jackson that have, as you would expect, gotten a little defensive. Look, that’s just human nature. I’m defensive about Mississippi. It’s a complicated place. Some people have bristled at how Mississippi is portrayed. To me I’m just telling the truth, but the truth is hard, that’s part of the dynamic of the story.

What’s the status of the lawsuit that was filed against you earlier this year, by a woman who babysat for members of your family and says that you based a major character in the novel on her, against her wishes?

You know, it hasn’t been resolved yet. The only word I know to use is puzzling and confusing. I’ve met this person, I think twice, maybe three times, for ten seconds…I’m confused about where all this is coming from…I don’t know this person.

What are you working on now?

I am so taken and in love with...[read on]
--Marshal Zeringue