Friday, December 4, 2015

Holly Messinger

Holly Messinger's new novel is The Curse of Jacob Tracy.

From her Q & A at The Qwillery:

TQ: Who are some of your literary influences? Favorite authors?

Holly: Toni Morrison, pre-90’s Stephen King, Mary Balogh, Octavia Butler, Barbara Michaels, Charlaine Harris, Joss Whedon. I tend to value storytelling over beautiful prose. Style should be transparent, in my opinion, which is to say, a writer should have enough mastery over language to convey exactly a mood or feeling that will make me nod and go, "Yes, that's what that feels like," but not in such a showy way that I’m admiring the writer’s turn of phrase instead of empathizing with the character. I won't read books where the supposed appeal is the writer's clever imitation of someone else's style, because it always feels like a filter between me and the action, akin to having a head cold.

TQ: Describe The Curse of Jacob Tracy in 140 characters or less.

Holly: Cowboy tries to maintain his bromance in the face of his burgeoning psychic power & the intriguing English witch who wants to exploit it.

TQ: Tell us something about The Curse of Jacob Tracy that is not found in the book description.

Holly: I’d want to assure hesitant readers that while this may be a western, it’s...[read on]
Visit Holly Messinger's website.

--Marshal Zeringue